Through years of interaction with hundreds of students, Founder of CF, Mr Calvin Kong discovered that so many students could have done so much better when given the right support. It became clear to him that the mission of CF is to develop the best holistic physics curriculum in Singapore.
Through identifying the challenges faced daily by students, our CF methodology is deeply rooted to the following philosophies.
- Understanding that more learning takes place when it is enjoyable. Here, we unveil the wonders of Physics through interesting and safe demonstrations. Physics at CF becomes relevant and interesting. We have inspired so many students to begin liking the subject and discovering more on their own. The battle is half won.
- Understanding that having knowledge is different from imparting knowledge. That is why we engages skillful teachers who specialise at specific levels i.e. Lower Secondary, Upper Secondary and Junior Colleges. All tutors adopt the CF blend of teaching pedagogies and learning principles.
- Creating a systematic and highly efficient curriculum focuses on concept mastery which will eventually empower students to take on the challenge of the subject progressively, with confidence and of course, fruitful results.
Quality Learning Resources with a Structured Curriculum Plan
Learners are naturally more motivated when the best resources are available, and a systematic curriculum plan is in place. At CF, we have restructured the entire syllabus into bite-size content so that mastering the subject is possible. They are neatly arranged in our lesson materials which has other features that allow students to track their own learning as well as cutting down revision time. Lastly, we know that maximum learning takes place when lessons are planned to allow students to learn large amount of content progressively and in a systematic way. We also ensure that the content is relevant by relating it to the real world. In doing so, students are very often inspired to discover more on their own.
Proven Pedagogy that Grooms the Independent Learners and Critical Thinkers of the Future
The key difference between the A, B and C scorers. The B and C scorers have yet to get a good grasp of the concepts and in order to survive, ended up trying to tackle the examination through rote learning. They typically ask, “Does it mean that when I see these phrases or words, I then apply this method to solve the question?” In other words, they are looking for a set of instructions to follow. This habit of the mind could have been developed at a younger age.
The A scorers are independent and critical thinkers who know the concepts well. They can use the learnt principles to synthesise long solutions that require several steps or generate creative solutions to novel situations that are off the routine. They often have this eureka moment and goes “Look, doesn’t all these numerous practice questions point towards these few concepts?”.
At CF, we engage our students with a concept-base instruction pedagogy that brings out the “A” in them. Our curriculum is designed to develop students to become independent learners with strong critical thinking ability. Recognising that all learners are unique, we have also adopted the differentiated instruction method to craft our materials so that learners can go at their own optimal pace.
Here is a brief overview of the CF’s Unique Physics Curriculum, which is a strategic combination of research proven pedagogies and learning principles.
1. Concept-based Instruction Pedagogy (Lynne Erickson & Lois Lanning)
2. Bloom’s Taxonomy (Benjamin Bloom)